Braniff Airways Flight 38:

Before 9/11, hijackings were way more common than we see today. Some were dangerous and lethal and some were outright silly. On Braniff Airways Flight 38, a domestic flight from Houston to Dallas in the United States of America, 22-year-old Billy Hurst thought he could hijack an airplane and walk away with all the stuff that he demanded. On the 12th of January, 1972, the ex-football player, boarded the Boeing 727 with rather, unorthodox intentions. He hijacked the 727 by claiming his suitcase was filled with explosives that would rip the airplane apart. He forced the flight crew to land the aircraft in Love Field Airport in Dallas. He let the passengers go but held the crew hostage. His demands were: 1 million dollars in cash, some parachutes, lunch boxes, boots, rope and a machete. The airline thought it had no choice but to give in. While Hurst was inspecting the parachutes, the crew managed to escape. The FBI took over the plane and Hurst was arrested. The authorities said he had guns but no explosives. He was later sentenced to 20 years in prison.


Cincinnati midair Collison:

Before the advent of technologies such as TCAS and heavily regulated air traffic, mid-air collisions were also a real threat to aviation. On the January 12th of 1955, a Trans World Airlines (TWA) Martin 2-0-2 airplane collided with a privately owned Douglas DC-3. The TWA airplane was on a scheduled flight from Boone County Airport to Cleveland-Hopkins International Airport. The Martin 2-0-2 was carrying 10 passengers and 3 crew. The DC-3 was carrying 2 crew only that were on their way to pick up clients. The Martin 2-0-2A had just taken off from the airport on Runway 22 and was climbing in a right turn through a cloud base at 700–900 feet when the collision occurred about 9am. The DC-3 was en route from Michigan flying VFR heading approximately south towards Lexington, KY. The right wing of the Martin 202 struck the left wing of the DC-3. This caused the right wing of the Martin to separate and the DC-3 experienced fuselage, rudder and fin damage. Following the collision both aircraft crashed out of control, impacting the ground about two miles apart. The wreckage of one of the aircraft fell along Hebron-Limaburg Road, two miles northeast of Burlington, Kentucky. There were no survivors from either aircraft.

180 total views, 1 views today